Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Carb-loading, and a Blogger Meet-Up!

What a beautiful, crisp fall morning we have in Northeast Wisconsin... I went for a run (my last before my FIRST MARATHON) this morning, and my cold ears and sniffling tells me that the seasons are changing!  I love summer, but I'm so excited for running in fall weather.

I wanted to write a quick post about my marathon prep.  A few months ago, I wrote a post talking about the science behind carb-loading, and I tried it in earnest for the first time for the Wisconsin Half Marathon.

I counted my carbohydrates each day and aimed for 400g each day... which is hard.  And depressing.  Seriously.  Going from an unintentionally lower-carb diet to 400g a day made huge changes for me.  I felt lethargic, BLOATED, and I was starving all of the time.  I'd find myself just snacking without even really realizing it, and I was FULL!  By the time race day rolled around, I damn near needed Rachel to cart me to the start line in a wheelbarrow - I was up four pounds and oddly obsessed with my new sausage fingers.  

The discomfort was worth it though.  I didn't need to drink nearly as much water during the race and felt like I had so much energy the entire time.  So I'm doing it again, starting with....

Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake Mix

You haven't lived til you've had these pancakes.  I'm literally salivating as I type this.  

So anyway, I'll be up to my eyeballs in bread and fruit and juice this week, hoping to give myself the best possible chances of not having the end of the marathon be a death march.  


________________________________________


Also, we'll be having a blogger meet-up at the Fox Cities Marathon this Sunday! You don't have to have a blog, or be a runner, or anything to come have beers and laughs with us post-race!  You know you want to.. we're so nice!  :)

Please?????

Anyway, we'll be meeting around 12:00-12:30 at a local watering hole... email me for all the details!  

twinlane@live.com

And if seeing me isn't enough to bring you out, there will be plenty of other (much cooler) people there too:   this girl, and this girl, and this girl...


Blogger meet-up - are you in?  If you can't make it, will you have someone to hug you all day to make you feel less devastated?

Do you carb-load?  Do you love it or hate it?

9 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I lived closer! :( Sounds like fun to meet other runner bloggers! Carbo loading intentionally is so hard for me, and I feel slugish. It takes me a while to feel good. I cannot wait to read about your marathon once you run it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way as you for the Oshkosh half. I was also up 4 lbs. leading up the race and felt very fluffy that day. I felt amazingly during the race though. Never dehydrated and just a little icky around 8 miles when I hadn't yet had any electrolytes. As soon as I had one small cup of Gatorade I felt better though. So are you starting your carbo loading now? Maybe I'll start today too than and we can compare sausage fingers. This is why I never wear my wedding rings anymore. The constantly fluctuation in my fingers makes it annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Marathon week! I'm more excited for you guys than if I were running it.

    Sounds like a kick ass blogger meet up! Too bad that Rachel girl is invited. I hate her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh this post makes me think I am sucking at carbo loading. I will now eat two bananas. I can't wait to hear all about the race! You're finally making it to the start of your first marathon and you're injury free! YAY SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. by race day last week i was so tired of eating! haha. i tried to gradually be aware of my carb intake for 2 weeks before and by that friday i just felt gross. but it really was worth it! i totally agree!!! GOOD LUCK GIRL! oyou are going to rock it! i will be thinking of you SO much this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!!! Man, I wish I lived closer. I'd totally come out and support. Can't wait to hear about your first :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO, I love the carb-load. LOL. I think I live in a constant state of carb-load.

    I am so excited for your first full! I wish I could be there! Have a fab time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had the Bob's mix during our camping weekend at TNF ECS!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes me happy! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...