Monday, July 11, 2011

No Running = No Fun

Isn't it funny how much impact the quality of your runs has on your whole weekend? 

I was so psyched up for some sweet long run action - this was to be my first run over 10k since my injury. 

So Saturday morning, I got all of my stuff together, Garmin all charged up, my favorite running clothes and a stocked MP3 player, and drove to my momma's house that connects with one of my favorite trails. 

I started running and immediately knew that I wasn't in top form.  My muscles were on fire from the very first step, and my legs felt like lead.  Usually, when I have a rough start, I tell myself not to look at my watch until at least 5 minutes has passed - that's how long it takes for my muscles to warm up on a bad day. 

Five minutes in, I was lightheaded and breathing hard... at my 10+ minute/mile pace.  What the heck.

Five minutes later, I came to a stop, and squatted down on the trail with my head between my knees trying to not pass out.  I slowly walked the mile back to my mom's, drove home wondering what was wrong with my body, and spent the rest of the day in bed with a fever.

Turns out I picked up some little bug that gave me the muscle aches, fever, the whole she-bang.  BOOOO!!!!

Doesn't my body know it has a half marathon that I am woefully unprepared for in FIVE WEEKS??? 

AHHHHHH!!!!!

How do you handle the anxiety that comes with continuous running setbacks?  I'm DYING here!!

2 comments:

  1. I am the wrong person to ask. I usually handle running hiatuses (hiati?) by eating my bodyweight in useless carbs and bitching at my husband about getting fat.

    I am truly sorry that your run did not work out and that you are sick. I hate missing runs for illness...it seems like such a waste, even though the rest is needed to be able to go stronger the next time.

    Oh, and I have questions for you regarding 400 meter repeats. Like, what are they and how do I do them. Do I run hard for 400 meters and then walk or jog 400 meters and then run hard again? Or what? If you help me, I will participate in odd running experiments for you!

    Also...we need to get a beer or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree with your post title more.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes me happy! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...