Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lunchtime!


Mmmmm... Chicken breast, fresh steamed broccoli, and the world's BEST quinoa.  Quinoa is one of my top five favorite foods... delicious light nutty flavor, super good for you (hello protein!), good hot or cold, pretty, and fun to cook with!  Ahhh I love it.  Here's my favorite recipe:

1 tablespoon butter

1 cup uncooked quinoa

2 cups vegetable broth

2 teaspoons chopped garlic

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 dash fresh lemon juice


Directions

  1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa, and toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
  2. In a bowl, toss quinoa together with garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and onion. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and serve.
Don't forget to rinse the quinoa before you use it, or you'll taste the soapy resin that Incans used to wash their clothes. 

My kiddos even got in on the action:

They had the same lunch as me, only with a little sharp cheddar melted on the chicken as an incentive.  That's Nolan on the left and Alex on the right.

I have a two mile tempo run on the schedule for tonight, but my lower legs are definitely protesting.  I might skip it and do a hard upper-body workout instead to make sure my long run is doable on Saturday.  Have a super day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes me happy! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...